Monday, November 9, 2009

Just Why...

Have you ever tried doing the best you can to achieve something and yet you felt you haven't moved an inch towards reaching your goal? As if something's got a hold of your skirt to keep you from making even a tiny shift from your position? Phew! How frustrating!
I'm in "that" situation right now - long hours of teaching with NO favorable result. The National Achievement Test is fast approaching . How will my students fair in the test? Oh, I'm scared.
Have I failed in my profession? Maybe... Maybe not...
Too many questions are bugging me. Why are they learning too little from all our lessons since June? Why is their retention so poor? Is my strategy in teaching wrong? Am I too strict? Am I too lax? Am I a bore? (Huh, I don't think so!) But why?
Is the curriculum to be blamed? Is it too complicated for six-graders living in a remote barangay where only one out of 100 households has electricity? Do my students find it hard to cope with the demands of mastering a hundred lessons per subject area when they can't even afford to buy a liter of kerosene to keep their lamps burning as they study each night? (I even doubt if they ever did get a chance to spend a night of studying for an examination.)
Is it then because of their economic status? Does malnutrition impede their mental growth so that they can't memorize or even understand concepts "spoon-fed" to them?
Or am I just too bothered with their progress, when they don't even seem to be concerned about getting high grades and pursuing a degree someday?
Why? Is it because of the values engrafted on them by the society where they are growing up?
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!
Too many questions!
I'd better concentrate on drafting another lesson plan.
Can I really concentrate now?

No comments:

Post a Comment